Member
Contributor
  


History of the League

back to:
About Pages
Who We Are

                           
  
      
  
      
             
  
      
  
  
      


  
History of the League


In her address to the (NAWSA) 50th convention in St. Louis, Missouri, President Carrie Chapman Catt proposed the creation of a "league of women voters to finish the fight and aid in the reconstruction of the nation."

The next year, on February 14, 1920 - six months before the 19th amendment to the Constitution was ratified - the League was formally organized in Chicago as the League of Women Voters. Catt described the purpose of the new organization:

"The League of Women Voters is not to dissolve any present organization but to unite all existing organizations of women who believe in its principles. It is not to lure women from partisanship but to combine them in an effort for legislation which will protect coming movements, which we cannot even foretell, from suffering the untoward conditions which have hindered for so long the coming of equal suffrage. Are the women of the United States big enough to see their opportunity?"

Maud Wood Park became the first national president of the League and thus the first League leader to rise to the challenge. She had steered the women's suffrage amendment through Congress in the last two years before ratification and liked nothing better than legislative work. From the very beginning, however, it was apparent that the legislative goals of the League were not exclusively focused on women's issues and that citizen education aimed at all of the electorate was in order.

Since its inception, the League has helped millions of women and men become informed participants in government. In fact, the first League convention voted 69 separate items as statements of principle and recommendations for legislation. Among them were protection for women and children, rights of working women, food supply and demand, social hygiene, the legal status of women, and American citizenship. The League's first major national legislative success was the passage of the Sheppard-Towner Act providing federal aid for maternal and child care programs. In the 1930's, League members worked successfully for enactment of the Social Security and Food and Drug Acts. Due at least in part to League efforts, legislation passed in 1938 and 1940 removed hundreds of federal jobs from the spoils system and placed them under Civil Service.

During the postwar period, the League helped lead the effort to establish the United Nations and to ensure U.S. participation. The League was one of the first organizations in the country officially recognized by the United Nations as a non-governmental organization; it still maintains official observer status today.

League of Women Voters of Hudson Local History
The League of Women Voters of Hudson was established in 1938 as a local chapter of the League of Women Voters of the United States. Our first President was Helen Haldy Kitzmiller, pictured above, the Special Assistant to the Headmaster at Western Reserve Academy for 30 years.

In 1964, the League of Women Voters of Hudson conducted a study on the feasibility of having a community recreation program that would operate through the schools. Soon after, HCER was formed under the auspices of the Hudson City School District.

An LWVH education study was completed on the Hudson Local School District in 1995 and a position was taken which remains today, "Continue support of adequate financing to maintain or improve the Hudson School System " and an informational booklet, "Hudson Know Your Schools" was distributed to the public.

                        
                                                      


Reference Materials
LWV Suffrage Reading List.pdf
  
  
  
History of the League


In her address to the (NAWSA) 50th convention in St. Louis, Missouri, President Carrie Chapman Catt proposed the creation of a "league of women voters to finish the fight and aid in the reconstruction of the nation."

The next year, on February 14, 1920 - six months before the 19th amendment to the Constitution was ratified - the League was formally organized in Chicago as the League of Women Voters. Catt described the purpose of the new organization:

"The League of Women Voters is not to dissolve any present organization but to unite all existing organizations of women who believe in its principles. It is not to lure women from partisanship but to combine them in an effort for legislation which will protect coming movements, which we cannot even foretell, from suffering the untoward conditions which have hindered for so long the coming of equal suffrage. Are the women of the United States big enough to see their opportunity?"

Maud Wood Park became the first national president of the League and thus the first League leader to rise to the challenge. She had steered the women's suffrage amendment through Congress in the last two years before ratification and liked nothing better than legislative work. From the very beginning, however, it was apparent that the legislative goals of the League were not exclusively focused on women's issues and that citizen education aimed at all of the electorate was in order.

Since its inception, the League has helped millions of women and men become informed participants in government. In fact, the first League convention voted 69 separate items as statements of principle and recommendations for legislation. Among them were protection for women and children, rights of working women, food supply and demand, social hygiene, the legal status of women, and American citizenship. The League's first major national legislative success was the passage of the Sheppard-Towner Act providing federal aid for maternal and child care programs. In the 1930's, League members worked successfully for enactment of the Social Security and Food and Drug Acts. Due at least in part to League efforts, legislation passed in 1938 and 1940 removed hundreds of federal jobs from the spoils system and placed them under Civil Service.

During the postwar period, the League helped lead the effort to establish the United Nations and to ensure U.S. participation. The League was one of the first organizations in the country officially recognized by the United Nations as a non-governmental organization; it still maintains official observer status today.

League of Women Voters of Hudson Local History
The League of Women Voters of Hudson was established in 1938 as a local chapter of the League of Women Voters of the United States. Our first President was Helen Haldy Kitzmiller, pictured above, the Special Assistant to the Headmaster at Western Reserve Academy for 30 years.

In 1964, the League of Women Voters of Hudson conducted a study on the feasibility of having a community recreation program that would operate through the schools. Soon after, HCER was formed under the auspices of the Hudson City School District.

An LWVH education study was completed on the Hudson Local School District in 1995 and a position was taken which remains today, "Continue support of adequate financing to maintain or improve the Hudson School System " and an informational booklet, "Hudson Know Your Schools" was distributed to the public.

                        
                                                      


Reference Materials
LWV Suffrage Reading List.pdf
  
  
  
League of Women Voters of Hudson, Ohio
P.O. Box 331
Hudson, Ohio 44236

Contact Us:
email: lwvhudsonohio@gmail.com
League of Women Voters of Ohio
100 East Broad Street, Suite 1310
Columbus, Ohio 43215
email: lwvoinfo@lwvohio.org
Phone Number: (614) 469-1505
www.lwvohio.org


League of Women Voters of United States
1730 M Street NW, Suite 1000,
Washington, DC 20036-4508
Phone: 202-429-1965
www.lwv.org


  
   © 2020 League of Women Voters of Hudson Ohio